Allrighty readers.. There are a few things I would like to discuss today with a little stance on the Smurphtastic Soap Box. Originally it was just an idea, but my buddy, who prefers to be known as "Captain America," told me I should say something about it.
________________________________________________________________
Mel Train-wreck Gibson
For a long time I was a huge fan of Mel Gibson, he was bright-eyed, genuine, and a great actor. Despite moderately recent events, he still is. I watched "Edge of Darkness" last night for the first time and all I can remember thinking was that the movie would have been so much better if he had not gone all crazy on his wife. I couldn't separate the actions of the person from the actor. It is really unfortunate that he chose to go bonkers, because he really is talented. It's hard to like him when I know in real life he's completely psycho.
Aside from Mel himself, the review of the movie said that Mel's character was only out for revenge, but after his daughter was killed he uncovered a major corporation's illegal activities that eventually lead to her death. He was a detective he spent his career solving crimes, so he was supposed to stop when someone murdered his daughter? Yeah revenge was a driving force, but it was the character's job to sort out violent crimes, so the synopsis made the fact that he was a detective seem like an unimportant side-note. Gah! First of all, a movie synopsis should not commentate on the movie itself! What the heck is that all about! I've seen movie information that labels it as "droll" or "unnecessarily long." Your only job is to tell me if I should expect to see people get shanked, fall in love, or run out of buildings that are blowing up. If you want to be a critic, save it for the papers (or a blog, hehe)
___________________________________________________________
Unselling Sales-people
If it is your job to sell a product, then you should know all about it. Inform customers, and let them make a decision. I went to go buy a tablet of some sort, and wound up buying a HP Mini netbook. While I was in the store, I heard a sales person talking about how horrible HP products were and how consumers should stick to other models of computers. Every computer I have purchased has been an HP, not only have I not had problems with them, but I was completely insulted by the fresh-out-of-high-school sales person who was trying to tell this poor couple why the computer they were looking at was a bad option.
While in one store a salesperson tried to talk me out of a computer I was looking at, he started to explain to me what RAM was and what the differences in processors were. I had already researched the computer and knew exactly what I wanted. I found out later they were out of stock. Rather than telling me that, he simply tried to talk me into a more expensive model.
When I was in sales, I never tried to force a sale, or tried to lie to people about what they wanted. Every sale I made, I felt good about. I knew that my customers had every piece of information I had, so they could make the right decision for them. And you know what? They came back... Which is more than I can say for the gentleman I encountered in my shopping experience. BAM!
________________________________________________________________________
Ok, last one, I promise
Breast Cancer Aware-mess
I will forever support and admire those who participate in the fight against breast cancer. Over the last two years or so, there have been campaigns launched through emails or facebook messages to post something obscure and misleading to show support for breast cancer. "I like it on the kitchen floor." In this instance women were told to make their status updates "I like it..." then put where their purse currently is.
Various campaigns like this one have since been launched. In the messages explaining the game, there are usually directions to keep it a secret from men. My main complaint is not with the campaign themselves, but with the fact that they exclude men. My reasoning is that men are not only able to suffer from breast cancer, but they are not exempt from the pain this cancer causes. They lose wives, daughters, sisters, and friends to this horrible disease and for some reason these 'campaigns' choose to exempt them from not only participating but from knowing what the heck all of these crazy women are talking about. The newest one that I've seen tells you to put a number and a candy based on your birth date... "I am XX weeks, and I am craving (Candy)." Imagine reading that on your wife's page and having no idea what she is talking about.
In conclusion I would like to say that "I am 12 weeks and I am craving Strawberry Pop Tarts" because I support the fight against breast cancer and my birthday is August 25.
______________________________________________________________
Did you make it all the way through?? Wow! I'm proud of you! And yes, I would like some cheese with my whine :)
What digs under your skin and drives you bonkers? Consider this your formal invitation to vent :)

No comments:
Post a Comment